Add your Feature Requests

Discussion of features and help with problems encountered while using libRocket

Re: Add your Feature Requests

Postby Bmsq on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:15 pm

I've just replaced my own custom ui with librocket and I'm loving it! However, one of the features it's lacking compared to my custom ui is built-in support for animations.

Given that librocket is based around CSS, I'd love to see support for the new transitions tags as described here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/CSS_transitions
Bmsq

Postby lymantok on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Add support for Irrlicht engine and a sample of how to use Librocket with it! Thx!
lymantok

Postby lloydw on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:44 am

Glad you're liking libRocket Bmsq.

Yes, I think CSS transitions would be a great way to implement animation in libRocket, maybe as an additional plugin. I'll have to think about this further.
lloydw
Rocket Engineer
Rocket Engineer

Postby fonter on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:21 am

Hi. I think there's a very important thing missing, scalability or resolution independence. I already asked about this before here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=258 and was told to use EM as unit for everything then change the base font when the resolution changes. At first I was gonna do this but in the end I decided to abandon librocket. Problems I saw with this:

a) Basing everything on the font size seems imprecise, the difference between 100%EM and 101%EM can be 20 pixels when scaled so things wouldn't fall into place exactly. Unless you can use floats for the units in which case then it's OK I guess. In any case such an indirect measurement made me nervous, I would propose creating a new unit of measure: sh (screen height). So if you do the following:
Code: Select all
{ font-size: 0.02sh }

It means the font will measure 12 pixels at 800x600, and 24 pixels at 1600x1200. If the limitations of floating point precision are judged to be a problem we could also use hundredths (2sh=2% of the screen height). It would also be good to have a sw unit (for screen width) although you'd normally use only height and then separate your elements on widescreen resolutions and move them closer on 4:3. However somebody may have use for it and it would be trivial to add if you guys added the sh unit.

b) Background images wouldn't be scaled and would remain the same size which is unacceptable. I was told of a workaround but I didn't find the time at that moment, I ended up using CEGUI for that project. But now I'm back reconsidering librocket for another project and it would be cool to have the fix that was proposed part of the engine, so that *everything* is readily scalable. This along the sh unit proposed above would be kick ass.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, RTT is also extremely important as it has been said, I kinda need it too, is it not possible right now to have a dynamic texture over a widget?
fonter

Postby lloydw on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:33 am

Having resolution independent rendering would be a great feature, but libRocket is designed with a dynamic layout engine so that text and areas can expand based on resolution like your web browser does. It's kind of the opposite design goal.

Having said that, you may get OK results, by always telling libRocket its rendering at a fixed resolution and then normalising the geometry when its sent to your custom renderer. The fonts might start to look a bit ugly though, not sure.

You can implement a dynamic texture over a widget with a custom decorator.
lloydw
Rocket Engineer
Rocket Engineer

Postby fonter on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:44 am

Ah yeah I'm a typography nerd and I can tell you the fonts would look horrible scaled. We are all used to text being pixel perfect, we don't notice this because images are usually scaled but text is never scaled after being rasterized. It would look pretty bad. Worse than any game in videogame history as a matter of fact :)

And I totally get the web browser thing, but this is a game library after all and I think we can all agree that modern games have this requisite. I thought librocket brought the expressiveness of HTML/CSS to your game engine, not that web design was a design goal.

If you think about it it would be only adding a unit that is missing. HTML already supports:

in, cm, mm, pt, pc: printing medium, absolute
em, ex: printing medium, relative
px: computer display medium, absolute

And we would be adding a relative unit for the computer display medium (sh, sw). I think it's quite elegant and it doesn't detract from the design goal. Remember we are only adding a unit (which the medium lends itself to) and we are not introducing a new way of laying out elements. So I urge you to reconsider, I believe it would be so useful that if people becomes aware of such an unit they will almost exclusively use it.
fonter

Postby mooflu on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:42 am

I think the DataInjection proposal from this thread is a good idea.
mooflu

Postby dmikos on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:04 pm

HTML / XHTML Standard Attributes - "dir"
http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmltags/p/blatdir.htm .

We need specify text direction for the content in an element.
dmikos

Postby aash29 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Text alignment by width:
text-align:justify;
aash29

Postby Halan on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Border-Radius and Text-Shadows

http://www.css3.info/preview/rounded-border/

Don't know how difficult it is to render curves with librocket though :/
Halan